Self-Care

When I first heard about teachers emphasizing the importance of self-care, I kind of laughed. I’ve heard so many horror stories of grad school and how much it consumes your life; so, the idea of taking time out of that menagerie of a schedule for myself seemed impossible. The past couple of weeks has started to get a little intense with papers starting to be due and starting my practicum just last week.

So, how do I practice my self-care? How do I take time to focus on me? I do a little bit of retail therapy and zone out on the television. I know it’s not the most productive or athletic thing to do, but it has helped me so much. I have found my favorite spot to be Sephora at the Galleria Mall. It’s accessible by the green line, which is nice since I don’t have a car. But, I love going inside that store and smelling the perfumes, trying on crazy colors, and finding awesome deals. The people that work there are fun too and love to talk to customers.

This being said, I’m not advocating that you should shop at Sephora or participate in shopping for self-care. What I am trying to say is that EVERYONE needs some form of self-care. Whether you like running, painting, listening to music, playing an instrument, scrapbooking, whatever floats your duck, be aware of that! You’ll certainly need it to balance the tug of war between classes, practicum, work, family, friends, and everything else in life. You can do anything you set your mind to, as long as your mind has been taken care of.

About spitchermspp

I'm living in the Boston area and going to Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology to get my Masters in Counseling Psychology. I moved to Boston from Nampa, ID where I've spent most of my life. I'm married to the love of my life and best friend, Keith. I've spent time working in the mental health care field and am ready to get my Masters so that I can work hopefully somewhere in Community Mental Health. I'm so excited to start this journey and am very optimistic about where it will take me! I love going for walks with friends, drinking mass amounts of coffee, baking and cooking, spending time with family, watching movies, and dying/cutting/doing crazy things with my hair (I think I'm a hair-o-holic! haha). This blog is basically an account of my journey and I hope that you enjoy the tales from this journey!
This entry was posted in Around Boston, Counseling Psychology, Personal Growth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Self-Care

1. Turjo Ahmed says:

just loved the about self care . keep going babes Gold Coast golf holidays

2. I agree with you to some extent. Good and fantastic blog. I am interested very much in such publications and sure will keep visiting your blog to check your messages and news as well.

Webmaster of HP Colour LaserJet CP2025DN Printer.

The road to success is always under construction. — Lily Tomlin

3. Do you want to live longer? Without much effort? Laugh! Yes! Just take some minutes of your busy life and devote ‘em to laugh by seeing something funny at the TV, reading some jokes (there are a LOT of places at the web to find jokes), hear something funny.. etc. You name it. For sure you know some way of laughing just a little, though it could be lightly, maybe something that makes you smile, but for God’s sake, laugh a little each day. And for sure you not only will live a little more, besides of it, that time you are going to be in this world will be more bearable.

4. I think self-care has very much to do with a tranquil, self supported, stable state of mind. For me a good mind state is basic, more than physical state. So it is important to take care of the activities that give us a rest from the daily stress into our minds, and those could be hearing music, looking at the sky at night or the clouds at sunset… from this point of view, each person has their own kind of self care. But we must always remember that devoting some minutes a day to not-thinking in anything, just staring something, is a necessity for our mental health. Don’t you think so?

5. spitchermspp says:

I think the reason why I laughed was when I compared how much this school emphasized self-care and also gave us room to partake in self-care. I had attended another graduate university who did not emphasize self-care as much as MSPP did; and, those teachers who did emphasize self-care to their students did not allow the students time to participate in self-care.

6. Self care is very important for every person, I can’t understand how you could laugh about this when you heard for the first time.

7. Linda says:

Excellent Post. Please keep up the good work

8. Rusty says:

Considerably, the post is actually the best on this worthy topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your approaching updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the extraordinary lucidity in your writing. I will definitely grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates.

Rusty

Webmaster of
    Electric Shavers Reviews best electric shavers .com