Where Did the Week Go?!

When asked by my uncle to describe the week that I’ve had I could only think of one phrase: controlled chaos. I’ve known my general school/work/practicum schedule for some time now but this was a random week. Because of other peoples’ schedules I ended up revamping my entire schedule. I was fully aware of what the week was going to contain. I am also usually good at dealing with this sort of unexpected craziness. I just had no idea how intense and exhausting it would be. Interestingly enough… I love the feeling.

The bulk of the exhaustion was a couple of long days of training in the middle of the week. My back and neck hurt from all of the sitting and my brain is full of binders upon binders of information about the program, the residents, and the site itself. But I get the feeling that although training for my practicum is finally over the real learning has only just begun.

My practicum site is the Stevens Treatment Programs, located in Swansea, MA. Stevens has 27 acres of land that they utilize to help adolescent males with a history of behavioral issues, anger management issues, fire-setting, and sexual offending. Starting first thing Monday morning, I am being thrown into the mix. Right now I am too tired to be nervous. Right now I am actually deliriously excited to start doing something other than sit through hours of training. I have residents to officially meet, clinicians to report to, and projects to get started on. I’m hoping, for the readers’ sake, that my first day is full of amazing incidences and exciting occurrences. Blogging about something interesting is a lot more fun!

I also attended the first Latino Mental Health Program meeting for the year. There was a tasty spread of food, a number of professionals from the field, students returning from their summer trip to Costa Rica (you can read blogs from LMHP students here) and faculty answering questions about the program. It was a great networking experience but that was only the starting point. I am looking to get more involved with the LMHP but that means I need to brush up on my Spanish. Rosetta Stone, here I come.

Once all the meetings were done, the training was done, work was done, and my homework was done I decided to treat myself to another little self-care activity. I went to MixFest at the Hatch Shell on Saturday. It was awesome!

I got to hear Javier Colon, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Michelle Branch, Lifehouse and Sara Bareilles for FREE! Can’t get better than that. There is nothing like having fun and not having to break the bank to do it.

Well, now I have to get back to the homework. Thanks for reading the thoughts in my brain. It is always a pleasure. I promise the next one will be a little more self-reflective and interesting. If not then I’ll tell you a funny joke. How does that sound?

-J

About jgarciamspp

Hello! My name is Jessica Garcia. I am an Arizona native and have moved to the greater Boston area to attend graduate school at MSPP. I graduated, summa cum laude, from Arizona State University (the Barrett Honors College). I received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am currently a 1st year Clinical PsyD student, doing my practicum at FMC Devens. On a more personal note, I love music, theater, reading, learning new languages, and my little dog.
This entry was posted in Around Boston, Forensic Psychology, Latino Mental Health. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Where Did the Week Go?!

1. Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review says:

These goggles are awesome! I am an adult and I have never had so much fun. I ordered some for a camping trip and we had such a blast.

Webmaster of Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review.

It is a wise father that knows his own child.– William Shakespeare

2. lukespender@ rental application .com This is such a nice blog to read. It is an interesting article. You have spoken your thoughts very well in this. The author has done a great job with this blog. I really love reading articles that has lots of knowledge to impart. I admire those writers who share the best of their knowledge in writing such articles.

3. jgarciamspp says:

Being able to unwind is a must! Self-care is extremely important. I’m learning new ways of taking care of myself every day.

4. Well, all the hardships will always lead to something good. No matter how hectic your schedule is, always ask yourself the reason behind why you are doing these stuffs. Congrats in advance to you! I’m so sure, you can make your career on top someday. And it’s nice to know you have time to unwind after a long day of work. All cool!