32 and still writing papers

There are a lot of people who come to MSPP shortly after graduating from college – maybe spending a year or two working. And then there are people who come back after working for 5, 10, 20 years. Or more. I fall into the latter category.

There are many students who come to MSPP later in life. A few hold onto their professional life and work in addition to school and internship demands. Some have children and take lighter course-loads or attend part-time. Others have babies while they are enrolled in the program. MSPP, and most of the practicum/internship sites, are incredibly supportive and flexible when it comes to trying to balance school and life demands.

I decided to pursue a doctorate after spending years working in the non-profit world. Now I’m in my early thirties, married, and a full-time student. I love my classes and my internship, but I cannot wait to be finished with school. Most of my non-MSPP friends are established in the field of their choice. Many are starting families or buying houses. A few are contemplating career changes of their own. I still have papers to write on the weekends.

I frequently remind myself to live in the moment, yet this is a constant struggle for me. I think I filled out my 4-year plan before I even began classes. I am looking forward to the day when I can contribute to my household income, when I can afford to travel, when I can be fully present without feeling like I should be working on this paper, or doing that reading.

Regardless of age, we all make sacrifices to pursue a degree that will lead to professional fulfillment. And I have never regretted my decision. I look forward to having a career that is intellectually stimulating and emotionally rewarding. Five years from now, with a toddler trailing behind me as I do yard work, I will likely long for my student days. And I will still be writing, just not papers for school.

About mmosesmspp

I am a third year PsyD student interested in working with children, adolescents, and families, especially those affected by trauma. I'm originally from Colorado. Although I miss the mountains and the activities that go along with them, I fell in love with Boston upon moving here five years ago. I initially came east to study creative writing, completing a memoir about my experience volunteering in the Peace Corps in Lesotho. I am an avid runner, yoga practitioner, and lover of food. I love trying new things and used to be obsessed with finding and attending each and every cool thing that happened in Boston. Now my days and nights are filled with internship responsibilities and coursework - and I couldn't be happier.
This entry was posted in Change of Career, Clinical PsyD. Bookmark the permalink.