A week of first days

Last Wednesday was the first day of school for the first through sixth graders at my field practicum site. It was also my first day of school, as I began my fieldwork the same day, splashing through puddles in the parking lot as I made my way to the entrance. At 8:00 on Wednesday morning, I found myself wandering the school’s hallways in search of my supervisor, as students in crisp blue polo shirts streamed through these same hallways in search of their new classrooms. Despite the rainy weather, their enthusiasm at returning to school was palpable, and I, too, felt excited about being able to spend time in their school community this year.

Yesterday the pre-school and kindergarten students arrived for their first day. Their transition to school was not without tears and several emotional breakdowns – for many of the students, this was their first experience being in a school. I found that I could relate to their nervousness as well, as I continue to figure out my place in the school community. But just as I know these young students will soon feel at home in school, I too, will soon become comfortable working with the school psychologists, teachers, and staff there.

This year my practicum takes place in a large, urban charter school, serving students in preschool through grade 6. This is the school’s second year in a new building, and the facilities are impressive. I’m glad the sun has returned so the students can enjoy recess outside on the gorgeous new playground!

About shansenmspp

I am a second-year school psychology student. I completed my undergraduate degree at Macalester College, with majors in Sociology and Spanish. In addition, I have a master's degree in Public Affairs. I have worked as a language teacher in the U.S. and Latin America, and I speak Spanish and some Portuguese. I love reading, yoga, cooking, traveling, and hanging out with good friends. Oh, and playing with my impish rescue pup, Atlas.

7 Responses to A week of first days

1. Hey thanks for the post. I was able to find your blog on Bing. It’s always nice to read a blog with good material. Thanks looking forward to your next post. By the way, I’ve saved your site to my favorite .

2. RICHARDSD says:

I like the quality of your blog. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

3. First of all I will tell you I like the post of Student. Because they wrote very honestly.
    They write both side of any types of issue. And You are psychology student, Then no doubt to your power of thinking. I like your post.

4. You complete your education in psychology is very fantastic.
    And you complete your master degree in Public Affairs is rare case and this is the effective thing in your post. You are working as a language teacher is really appreciate me. Thanks.

5. cocopeat says:

Fully documented information is an excellent way to convince people to move over to your point of view. Thank you for presenting a wonderful point of view in this article.

6. Macalester College is perfect psychology school. you interests in school psychology include working with English Language Learners, better understanding the challenges of urban education, implementing preventative mental health programs, and fostering family/community/school collaborations is really focused.

7. I always wanted to be a psychologist and observe a child’s behavior, However, for some personal reasons, I was obliged to take another course to run our business. You’re lucky to get the job that I always wanted! So, keep up the good works, not everyone can be where you are. Cheers!