An Immense Need, Not Enough Time

Hola a todos,

Lauren Utter and Tessa Kramer here again reporting to you in our last week in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Last week we had the opportunity to diversify our clinical work in the field. We spent four days consulting with patients at a medical clinic in an impoverished area of Guayaquil and making home visits to patients with physical disabilities. This experience increased our understanding of some of the medical, psychiatric, and daily living conditions faced by those that are socioeconomically disadvantaged in Ecuador.

We worked with patients of all ages, conducting both individual and family sessions. Patients presented with a variety of concerns, including relational difficulties within the family, behavioral complaints, economic distress, and a wide range of psychiatric symptoms.

Although we were only able to provide the patients with a single session, we worked to construct concrete coping strategies and behavioral modification plans. Additionally, we encouraged the patients to utilize their existing support systems and take advantage of untapped resources within themselves and the community.

Working in a busy medical setting was an invaluable experience. We were able to formulate cases using a multidisciplinary approach, working alongside the clinic’s gynecologist, dentist, family practitioner, and medical director. It was rewarding to work with other professionals who value the mind-body connection.

Visiting patients in their homes provided us with a more comprehensive understanding of poverty in Ecuador.  This method of outreach helps to identify and treat many whom would not otherwise receive care.  Even in this small community, we were surprised to learn that many residents were unaware of the clinic’s location and services. Overall, the home visits were a unique experience, as psychologists do not often see their patients’ living conditions first-hand.

Some of the Homes in the Community

Fortunately, we were able to refer some of the patients that may benefit from longer-term treatment. Given the lack of resources, we hope that some of the more concerning cases will receive the necessary medical and psychological care.

We found our experiences in the medical clinic and surrounding community to be very rewarding and worthwhile.

Cuidense mucho,

Lauren and Tessa

19 Responses to An Immense Need, Not Enough Time

1. There are specific breeds lower susceptible to chocolate
    howevr never give your dogg chocoplate by
    choice. Go ahead. Well,everyone with dogs wants to be
    like Amtrak.

2. I beloved as much as you’ll obtain performed proper here. The cartoon is
    attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get
    bought an shakiness over that you would like
    be delivering the following. ill without a doubt come further
    formerly again since precisely the similar nearly a lot steadily inside case you defend
    this increase. http://www.topofutahmarathon.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=301392,http://metamorphosis.med.duth.gr/pg/publications/ownbytcct/read/62619/i-enjoy-back-links-regarding-greater-london-selling

3. I pay a quick visit daily a few blogs and websites to read articles,
    however this blog gives quality based posts.

4. webpage says:

I was pretty pleased to find this website. I want to to thank you for your time just for this fantastic read!!

I definitely appreciated every part of it and i also have you bookmarked to see new things in your web site.

5. merci de me passer des code psn. . pour ce qui peuvent et je payerait..
    . car pour moi sa ne marche pas je suis sur linux.

6. I sent a order through this company for backlinks on
    my website and they hit it really well,
    increased traffic substanially. For every 100 I spent I was making ack around 400,
    so it def
    was worth it and ill keep using them. http://www.webnero.com

7. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
    you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely
    know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your
    blog when you could be giving us something
    enlightening to read?

8. Kate says:

Hi there colleagues, how is all, and what you want to say on the topic of this piece of writing,
    in my view its actually awesome for me.

9. I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s content all the time along
    with a cup of coffee.

10. webpage says:

Hey I am so grateful I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while
    I was researching on Aol for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to
    say many thanks for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I
    have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
    will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great job.

11. It is appropriate tijme to make a few plans for the long run
    and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this ublish and
    if I may I wish to rexommend you some interesting things or
    tips. Maybe you can write subsequent articles relating to this article.
    I desire tto learn more issues approximately it!

12. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Very useful information particularly the last part :) I care for such information a
    lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

13. Hi there, yup this post is actually good and
    I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.

14. It’s an remarkable post designed for all the online people; they
    will take advantage from it I am sure.

15. hiceram says:

I value your determination. I’m really proud of all the work you guys have done. BRAVO!!!

16. Thanks I am glad to catch idea from your article. This looks absolutely perfect. All these tinny details are made with lot of background information.

17. Dr Anthony says:

I am glad the experience was good…

18. Katy says:

This is a very nice reading! I hope you can both teaching and enrich locals and in return learn also something about this experience.

19. jennie says:

Congratulation, your blog are very useful!! I love it!! It’s good for me to learn more words in English and more expressions too. And maybe soon I can get in Lynn to study with you and I will use more more this blog hahaha That will be great!!!