“What women have influenced you?” for Women’s History Month

This month for Women’s History we were asked, “What women have influenced you?” So here it goes…

At the age of 13 I found out that my parents were getting a divorce. Soon after, my mother and I made the trek from suburban Virginia to rural upstate New York to be closer to her family. It was hard leaving my father and friends, yet I understood that my mother needed the social support that only her family could provide.

After making the move, I had a difficult time adjusting, but my mom was always there to help me through. She did everything in her power to see that I grew into a strong, independent woman. She was a single mother, working full time, yet she always made time for me.

My mom is a nurse in clinical research; she formerly worked in HIV medicine and currently in Oncology. She taught me the benefits of a positive attitude and a helping hand. It was she that inspired me to go into Psychology- a profession that I knew could be difficult, yet rewarding.

My mother showed me that women are able to balance family, work, and everything that accompanies it with grace. She taught me to rely on myself and supported me in all my endeavors. She never failed to tell me how proud she was or how much she loved me. So when asked,” What woman influenced you?” she’s the first one that comes to mind. Without her, I truly don’t think that I would be the person I am today.

This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD, Personal Growth. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to “What women have influenced you?” for Women’s History Month

1. It’s not my first time to visit this site, i am browsing this web site dailly and obtain pleasant facts from here everyday.

2. Jery Jhons says:

Need your ACLS / PALS recertification? MedEd Center provides a user friendly platform for medical professionals to obtain certification.
    Get your ACLS and PALS certifications online today! Ask about our group discounts.
    ACLS renewal time? Visit MedEd Center and renew today.
    Advanced Cardiac Life Support certifications online. Receive your card immediately upon passing the exam.
    MedEd Center provides an ease of use online option for getting your ACLS and PALS certifications / recertifications.

3. acls renewal says:

Good stuff! I would say my sister was the biggest influence in my life.

4. Definitely my mother!! Great story, thanks for sharing!

5. My mother also inspired me. I watched her work hard when I was little and she taught my the importance of working with integrity when no one is looking.

6. The woman who influenced me was my mother when my parents divorced many years ago when I was a child.

7. SEO Toronto says:

After making the move, I had a difficult time adjusting, but my mom was always there to help me through.

Thats beautiful!!!

8. Diet Plan says:

I almost cried reading your blog. I’m having the same problem as you. My mum is the greatest! Thanks mum!

9. I agree with Dave; when you look at all the great people of our time they state that it was their mother that pushed them to succeed. Moms are great!
    - Jeff M

10. feihu989 says:

A Provo company announced Wednesday that it plans to unveil a sport utility vehicle at a Detroit auto show later this month that can run for more than 100 miles on a single gallon of gas.

11. Behind most strong men and women is a great mom, it seems. I know I wouldn’t be half of what I am without my mother’s guidance and support as well. Great read. Thanks!

-Dave H

12. Paul says:

Jessica Benjamin – author of ‘The Bonds of Love: Psychoanalysis, Feminism, & The Problem of Domination’.

Sheree D. Conrad – researcher and author from UMass Boston

Anne Frank – need I say more?

13. Diet Dude says:

good write up. kep up the good work