Why I chose the PsyD over the PhD and MA.

Deciding to go to Graduate School is a hard decision, but making the choice as to which program would be the best fit can be daunting. I obviously cannot make the decision for you, but I can let you know how I made my decision and ended up in the Clinical PsyD Program at MSPP.

MA, PhD, or PsyD, how to choose? All are great graduate programs that have their benefits and drawbacks. For me, though my professors suggested I look into MSW programs, it was just not for me. I have always had my heart set on obtaining my doctorate and above all being a psychologist. This was also the reason that I also decided against a Masters in Psychology. For those of you who don’t want a doctorate, the Masters Program here at MSPP is great! It’s also great for those who lack clinical experience and would like to participate in fieldwork before going on for your Doctorate.

The PhD vs. PsyD decision was much harder for me. As an undergrad, it took a lot of consideration before I decided on the PsyD. I obtained an internship at a local Psychiatric Hospital and enrolled myself in the Honors Senior Research Project to decide how important research was to me versus clinical work. Though I absolutely loved creating and running my own experiment, I loved working at the hospital more. I looked around for both PsyD and PhD programs that had more emphasis on clinical work and found that many PhD programs do not give candidates any training until later on in their graduate career. I decided against the PhD and took a year off to gain more experience and apply to various PsyD graduate programs. It was then that I came across MSPP’s PsyD program and knew it would be a perfect fit. I loved that right away students are thrown into clinical work. I also loved that though there was not a huge emphasis on research, it was something that I could still participate in.  It was the best of both worlds and catered to exactly what I wanted/needed.

Another reason I chose the PsyD at MSPP was because of the time it took to complete. It is very difficult, at most graduate institutions, to complete a Doctorate in less than 5 years. MSPP understands that students want to get school done and get out into the field, so they designed their program to be completed in four years.  It is nice to think that in just a couple of years I’ll be Dr. Morvillo instead of Ms. Morvillo. What a status change!

MSPP’s location is also great. Though it is not directly in Boston, it’s close enough where you can still get the Boston experience without hitting all of the Boston traffic (this also depends on where you live and what your commute is like). Not only that, but there are so many amazing training opportunities for psychologists in Boston. You’ll get the experience in this city that would be hard to find anywhere else.

So, that’s why I chose the PsyD here at MSPP.  You may have trouble right now deciding what kind of program you like or even have your heart set on one, but it’s important to weigh all your options. Look at each program to see what you like and what you don’t. It may be tedious, but well worth it in the end if you want to end up in the right program. If you have any other questions, please feel free to comment or e-mail me. Good luck in your Graduate Program pursuit!

This entry was posted in Applying to MSPP, Clinical PsyD. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Why I chose the PsyD over the PhD and MA.

1. Sue Ohl says:

Whats Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me. Good job.

2. Aurora says:

Asking questions are in fact nice thing if you are not understanding anything completely, but this post provides pleasant understanding yet.

3. Full Guide says:

I for all time emailed this blog post page to all my associates, as
    if like to read it next my contacts will too.

4. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff prior to and you’re simply extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve got right here,
    really like what you’re saying and the way in which wherein you say it. You’re making it enjoyable
    and you continue to care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read
    much more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

5. Dorthea says:

Hello there, I believe your website may be having browser compatibility problems.
    Whenever I take a look at your website in Safari, it looks
    fine however, when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues.
    I merely wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, fantastic website!

6. More Help says:

Right here is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic.
    You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally
    will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin
    on a topic which has been written about for ages. Great stuff, just wonderful!

7. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my weblog so i came to go back the want?
    .I am trying to in finding things to enhance my web site!I guess its good
    enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!

8. Hi there friends, its great paragraph about educationand entirely defined,
    keep it up all the time.

9. What i don’t understood is in truth how you are now not really much more well-appreciated than you may be right now. You are very intelligent. You know thus significantly on the subject of this subject, made me for my part believe it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t interested until it’s something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. Always take care of it up!

10. Zahra Maulida says:

how much the tuition and fees you spent for this 4years psy.d in mspp? i’m also interested to do psy.d right away after finished bachelor degree. Could i get loan if i’m non-us citizen? what would you say? hope you can shed some light to me

11. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be
    delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case
    you shield this hike.

12. PhD Programs says:

Yes i am totally agree with you that it’s always hard to decide that what to choose, it’s really hard in Graduate College instead of opting any Online program like ..online PhD program, PsyD or any other.
    But good option to opt any online programs for those who are already working and cant manage with regular Graduate College.

Comments are closed.