Stuck in the Snow & The MSPP Community

Last Tuesday I had the privilege of experiencing the strength of MSPP community first hand. I was in my 8:30 AM Humanistic class when the snowstorm that hit 2/3 of the nation started. Toward the end of the class there were several inches of snow on the ground and we learned that all classes after 11 AM would be cancelled. People rushed out of school to clean their cars off and make it home before the snow accumulated even more. I quickly brushed my car off, hopped in and started off. Moments later I found myself stuck in a snow bank unable to get myself out. Immediately a MSPP student driving by offered to push me out. He tried and tried, but was unable to get the car even rocking. I thanked him for stopping and sent him on his way. I ran back into school to let Maintenance know I was stuck, telling a few peers on the way about my situation.

As I got back outside I saw my classmates standing by my car, shovels in hand, wanting to help. Maintenance came too and even people working for National Grid stopped to help- we all tried our hardest to clear the snow from the tires and get my car out, but it wasn’t moving. Finally, as my classmates and maintenance continued to try to shovel my car out I called Triple A and learned it would take them at least three hours to get me a tow. My friends offered to bring me to their homes where I could wait, but I didn’t want them to have to trek back into the snow once Triple A came. I thanked them for all of their help and told them to get home before the weather got worse. They were reluctant to leave, but I told them there was no point in staying.

Luckily, I was at school and able to sit inside for the three hours while I waited for a tow. As I sat, anxiously trying to get some work done, Professor after Professor stopped to ask if I had transportation home. Some even offered to bring me home themselves or sit with me while I waited. I got to know so many people that I had never even met while waiting for Triple A; everyone was so sympathetic and friendly. I had always known that there is a familial vibe that resonates through MSPP, but I had never experienced the MSPP community in this way. It was really nice to have staff and students come together to help me out and I am grateful to be a part of a school that has such a strong sense of community. So thanks to everyone that helped me out last Tuesday and I know that if I ever see anyone else stuck in the MSPP parking lot I’ll be there to return the favor.

This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD, Social Responsibility. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Stuck in the Snow & The MSPP Community

1. Desiree says:

I really like it whenever people come together and share opinions.
    Great blog, stick with it!

Desiree

2. Tom says:

One little tip that has helped me in the past get off my drive in artic conditions is to use planks of wood that you can manouevre underneath the wheels. This gives more traction and can help you not burn rubber. Vehicle tips brought to you by Malaga Airport Transfers

3. Uncle Bob says:

Yeah the snow is falling now as we speak in my hometown. Its great for about an hour of watching it but then the reality of trying to dig your car out of all the snow coupled with the fact of making sure snow chains are attached properly. Can be a bit “tire – ing” pardon the pun! But seriously depending on your location (for example Riga, Latvia) it makes more sense to grab some winter tires on sale in the shops or online and use these specialist tires throughout the winter months. Better grip, safety and piece of mind especially when driving with your family aboard. Thats just my two penneth.

4. tekneeks says:

Try not to rock your car back and forth if your stuck in the snow it is very hard on your transmission try to dig out as much as possible :)

Webmaster of Tires Carbon Blackshoptirebarn.com

5. Jared says:

I have to agree with you on that! I love watching the snow fall almost in slow motion and with hardly a sound. . . But I also like to go snowboarding and drifting corners, too. I want to get an AWD though so I have much better control! Oh, and some good snow tires, too! I saw some test results and was very impressed at how big of a difference there is between snow tires and all season tires!! It is significant!

6. Winter is my favorite season. I like to see the view outside when everything is white outside and cold.