Student Service Trip to New Orleans: C.A.R.E. Update from Angie Reather-

Just an update on how things are going so far. Yesterday we teamed up with camp restore and worked at a site in the lower 9th ward called the Village. The Village is a community center headed by an amazing man named Mack. When we first arrived on site we had a reflection group with more than 50 other volunteers and everyone had to say something about their experience thus far. The whole reflection was very powerful and a positive experience. The thing that stuck out for me was how devastated the area still is and how much hope people still have. Mack said that 75 percent of people in this area still aren’t in their homes.

The work for the day entailed clearing out multiple rooms on site to make room for children to be at the community center. A library was already built and we helped make a gym for the children while another group made a computer room. A good moment was when an eleven year old boy went on the treadmill right after we built the gym.

Today we are working on the project green light. So far it is going well! We had a slow start but have already changed about 100 lightbulbs and we have met some amazing people. We are currently at the house of an fbi agent whose house was in eight feet of water during Katrina.

We are still on the road so I will update you later. So far an amazing trip!

About msppblog

From our new campus in Greater Boston, The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology educates students for careers that meet the growing demand for access to quality, culturally competent psychological services for individuals, groups, communities & organizations both locally & around the globe. We offer 12 degree programs, with a focus on serving vulnerable populations, including children of adversity, Latinos & veterans, as well as organizations & leaders on the forefront of creating long-lasting social change. The core of our approach is providing students with hands-on experience at more than 350 field placement sites, preparing them to solve complex problems in an increasingly diverse world.
This entry was posted in Guest Blog, Social Responsibility. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Student Service Trip to New Orleans: C.A.R.E. Update from Angie Reather-

1. Don says:

It’s very straightforward to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this website.

2. A good tip that can help you reduce your stress is to spend some time away from
    the internet now and then. It can get very tempting to get on the internet but it can also be very stressful because you’re always making
    yourself accessible to others. Take some time off
    to spend by yourself.

3. Thanks to my father who told me regarding this web site,
    this weblog is truly awesome.

4. Shine says:

I really admire people that volunteer for projects that are helping others live better lives.

5. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information
    in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the
    look for such information.

6. I agree with you to some extent. Good and fantastic blog. I am interested very much in such publications and sure will keep visiting your blog to check your messages and news as well.

Webmaster of HP Colour LaserJet CP2025DN Printer.

The road to success is always under construction. — Lily Tomlin

7. seedbox says:

How many students does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Let’s wait and see

8. Custom tours says:

Nice article about the student trip…Thanks for sharing

9. Jarred Ross says:

Great article You really make it seem so easy with your presentation.

10. mark says:

Great article! I quite agree with rogoban

11. rogoban says:

business development is a human effort to be able to be in the forefront. our obligation to always be the best

12. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information
    look for such information.