T. Berry Brazelton “Learning From Babies” at MSPP

On Saturday, October 16th, 2010, a world-renowned researcher of developmental science, T. Berry Brazelton, M.D., came to speak at MSPP.  Also presenting were: Myron Hofer, MD, Barry Lester, PhD, Jayne Singer, PhD, and Joshua Sparrow, MD.  Topics included the newborn infant’s capacity for state regulation; ways in which the newborn shapes the care-giving environment; newborn attachment behaviors and their meanings; the impact of maternal depression on mutual regulation; the impact of different subtypes of maternal depressive symptomatology; non-linear models of development; developmental disorganization on parental functioning; and implications for clinical intervention.

MSPP hosts regular Continuing Education programs for those in the mental health field.  This particular program was important because of Dr. Brazelton’s many critical contributions to child development and parenting.  Brazelton was a leading voice in challenging the idea that children enter the world with a blank slate (tabula rasa).  His research on the way that babies respond to parents, compared to how they respond to other people, led to nation-wide maternity leave as outlined by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).  Dr. Brazelton was also one of a handful of researchers to prove that development does not occur in a straight line, but there are times when skills regress.  Toddlers who were previously able to sleep through the night may begin to wake in the middle of the night and cry because there are monsters in the room.  This regression of skills is normal and illustrates the child’s growing cognitive ability to imagine.

On November 5, 2010, I interviewed my field site supervisor, school psychologist Michael Niewiecki, Ph.D.  Dr. Niewiecki attended the “Learning From Babies” program because of his background and interest in child development.

J: As a School Psychologist, what made you decide to attend T. Berry Brazelton’s “Learning From Babies” program?

M: I had come into school psychology through childhood education, so my focus has always been on younger elementary and early intervention-type services and supports.  Also, coming in through early childhood education has meant that I have had an increased awareness of developmental factors and the importance of supporting development as an orientation to the work.  I took a class on neuropsychological assessment of the newborn as an elective, so I was familiar with Brazelton and his impact on developmental science.

J: What were your impressions of T. Berry Brazelton and his presentation?

M: I just like him a lot.  I like how he approaches the work first from his heart but always using his head.  He’s a human first, and a scientist second.  And that is how I approach working with kids.  And in doing so, what I like about him is he sort of finds the strength even in families that are really struggling.  Because of that, there is empathy.  As a scientist, some people don’t look so great on paper.  Sometimes it can hurt to look at a child’s family on paper, but Brazelton doesn’t look at them that way first.  He sees the strength and resiliency in infants and families.

J: What did you learn from this program that may help you in your profession?

M: One of the reasons why I went was I’m always looking for my next professional inspiration, or a topic or skill set that I would like to learn.  I finish with things a little quick so I need to keep myself inspired in my work.   What I gained was more self reflection about why I come to work.  I come to work more like Brazelton and I encourage myself to stay that way.  So what I gained was a reminder and a recharger empathy battery.  I also gained a little more understanding on epigenetics and fetal programming.  He didn’t talk about them a lot, but it was better defined than what I had previously heard.   It was interesting to hear people wonder what scientists will find next, and it inspired my own curiosity.

J: What was your impression of MSPP as a host site for this event?

M: I thought it was great.  I think it’s important for places like MSPP to keep reminding themselves that much of the positive things that we know about child development did not come from Clinical or School Psychologists, but Medical Doctors, Developmental Psychologists, and Early Childhood Educators.  We have a common knowledge base that is important to honor.

J: What are some School Psychology-related issues that you would like to see addressed in future Continuing Education programs?

M: I would like MSPP to grapple with bullying.  I think there was a program earlier this year, but I heard it got canceled.  That’s too bad because it’s a major concern in school psychology.  It relates to the broader issue of the school and it’s important to school psychology to help us grapple with this.

About Jenny Duncan

I am a first year School Psychology (MA/CAGS) student at MSPP. My interests include creative writing, singing, board games, RPGs, grunge rock, and sci-fi/fantasy TV shows. I am excited to be a part of the MSPP community and educate myself in the field of School Psychology. If you want to know more about me, please read my blogs!
This entry was posted in Personal Growth, School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to T. Berry Brazelton “Learning From Babies” at MSPP

1. Pingback: good malbec wines

2. That was very interesting. Honestly this is the first time I heard of such a program but come to think of it, we can really learn a lot from babies. For a fact, babies are better on identifying a bad person who can cause them harm than us adult, so yes, we can really learn a lot from them.

3. Lareelacey8 says:

Thanks for the marvelous posting ! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job and this information will help to all.Thank you for the needed information.

4. Dr. Brazelton was also one of a handful of researchers to prove that development does not occur in a straight line, but there are times when skills regress. Toddlers who were previously able to sleep through the night may begin to wake in the middle of the night and cry because there are monsters in the room

5. Skuut Bikes says:

Learning from the transition years from baby to toddler is, I believe even more infomative. They can formulate and express their opinions (to a degree) and also their emotional range and display are so much more developed at the 2-5 yr stage. You can learn so much more from their activity. These days it’s important to have exercise and nutrition as a major part of their early years’ development, non better than the introduction of simple toys that develop their gross motor skills and balance. A good example is the Skuut bike for this age group. A simple ride-on toy with no pedals, the toddlers take to it immediately, and the joy and happiness they display is unrestrained.
    Webmaster of Skuut Bikes

6. I think we can learn a lot from our babies – this carries on through childhood too! Really enjoyed this post.

7. thanks , it was an informative article.

8. Jasmine says:

Wow. Amazing blog!

9. THEERAPONG says:

Just I found this blog and like to learn and read information from this site, First I don’t know or haven’t detail about the MSPP community, but I will follow your blog site.
    I think it most helpful to us and my family.
    Thanks,

10. It is very interesting Article. It tells how child should be cue from them is a bold idea.

11. TV Shows says:

We always seem to concentrate on the importance of children learning facts but we often fail to recognize the importance of social bonding that begins with parental bonding.

12. This was a very interesting post. I learned a lot about how children develop during my education as a teacher, but not much about babies. Now that I have a 6 month old I love learning about how he is learning and devloping.

13. coffeebreak says:

Really informative article post Jenny…Really thank you!

14. Thanks for the post jenny. Babies learn like sponges – taking a cue from them is a bold idea.
    Best of luck.

15. Dr. Brazelton seems to have contributed some valuable thinking to the understanding of child development and parenting.

16. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts into the stuff you post!! I think learning from babies is also very important, this can be very helpful for parenting..

17. Tony Newsom says:

Hi: I am a parent and police officer. After reading your Bullying Post-I wanted to respond with this comment. I want to inform you about a great, free service for your educators and parents. Superintendents, school boards, administrators, teachers, college students and parents use free books, lesson plans and other online resources at http://www.SafetyForSchool.com to reduce school & cyber bullying, help students remain safe online, prevent/minimizes school violence and to obtain free student safety tips and lesson plans

Tony Newsom

18. Doctor Brazelton has done so much for this field! I have had a slightly more than passive interest in following his neo-natal behavioral tests ( I just have always thought it was super interesting to see how babies are measured for psychological health this way) and now it has come full circle and I have become a father myself.
    Dr. Brazelton’s studies are now playing an important and forefront role in my own understanding of my own child. His work has actually prepared my understanding to be a more effective parent myself. Thanks for the post !!

MG

19. omarryam says:

always a joy to read these things, congrats on the wonderful post . babies are my life !

20. Very interesting post. I had watched a tv show on babies cry. It seems that no matter what country your from or in all babies in the beginning has the same cry. Each baby will start to change his or her cry as learning how to get their mother to respond correctly to their cry and then it’s become their own language…training parents must be difficult for babies. :)

21. Your post is very interesting Jenny, Learning from babies i think is one of the interesting concept i have read about today, Thanks for sharing this, Janelle.

22. I loved reading this Jenny !